Saturday, February 21, 2015

Winter Break Road Trip

A year ago this week we were basking in the Puerto Rican sunshine, our first real taste of escaping the winter blues. But this year with Nacho's job change and subsequent crappy schedule, we weren't able to run off. Nope, instead we were stuck in Snow York for a week of freezing temps and not much else. But still, I tried to rally the troops. We went to a bouncy house, and a movie and out for lunch several times. We rediscovered the Wii bowling game and baked goodies to go with our teas and coffees. But by the end of the week, I was really wishing we had something big to end the staycation on. I wanted to go somewhere--not far--and go swimming in a heated pool. And of course, eat something good and not break the bank doing it all. So I started researching hotels within 2 hours drive that might fit the bill. Coastal CT seemed to fit the bill and once I thought about hitting New Haven for some pizza, it all fell into place. There was a Hampton Inn in West Haven not more than 90 minutes away and it got great reviews for a warm pool and quiet surroundings off I-95. Done and done. 

While temperatures hovered near 0F on Friday morning, I was glad we had something planned that didn't involve much outdoor walking. Man, it was brutal. And I started the trip off by tumbling over on the ice outside our car leaving a couple of nasty scrapes and bruises on my right wrist as I tried in vain to catch myself on a metal sign. Yeah, that was just the beginning. Next I pushed our car out of the parking spot as Nacho revved it up, wheels spinning on ice, unable to get out of said parking spot. With just a few attempts, I was victorious and the girls seemed pleased that mama had the "muscles" to get us on the road. Oh did I ever. A pool was waiting! And big kudos to all my friends who helped me crowdsource my roadtrip planning on Facebook giving me lots of ideas. I'm not sure I would have included Louis' Lunch, home of the original hamburger sandwich, or the Yale Art Gallery if I hadn't heard from trusted sources that those were worth it. But they so were. Luckily, we avoided the crowds by going on such a desolate weekend. And the girls got every ounce of joy possible out of that pool. Elisa didn't have any trouble jumping right in and played and swam with total confidence. Even Carolina got her face wet this time too. It was such a great thing to see them enjoying themselves like that. 

Getting home Saturday afternoon in the impending snow storm wasn't the best way to end our roadtrip fun, but hey, it had to have a downside. Nacho and I felt a little like we'd been sucked into the Twilight Zone when the GPS map kept updating our real time traffic delays to 1 hour and 38 minutes despite being on the road for 10, then 20, then 35 minutes. It just never got any better. Fortunately, we stayed our course and made it back without sliding off the road. Updating our traffic delays midway home showed a reroute past a tractor-trailer accident on a bridge that saved us a good 25 minutes and lots of headaches. Pulling up to a dream spot across from our building and putting the tea kettle on was exactly how I would have written the ending. Enjoying a hot cuppa with a famously square donut from Orangeside on Temple just made it that much sweeter. 

No comments: