Friday, January 21, 2011

Imagine That

In true confessions style, I will admit I love reading what other moms and bloggers say they do that they don't like to admit. Sometimes it's as benign as serving up non-organic Spaghetti-Os, yelling a little, or hiding beloved toys from their kids. Big woo, right? And sometimes, it's letting their kids watch too much TV, surfing the internet while their little ones are playing, or giving bottles to their kids in bed to eke out a few more minutes of sleep. I am guilty of all three of those. Especially the TV thing. And I know it. Somehow around this time last year, we were cooped up inside a lot more and it became routine to watch Yo Gabba Gabba or Dora to spare me some time to take a shower or fix a meal. Then it became a nice distraction when I was done playing catch (or you name it) for the hundredth time. When the weather got better, we were out almost every morning and afternoon at one of the parks. A little TV before nap or dinner wasn't such a bad thing. Moderation had returned. And now, I find we are again facing the onslaught of all day television. The weather sucks. I'm tired and we both want a nice, glowing distraction from the boredom of winter. Besides, when you see how much Elisa dances around to The Fresh Beat Band or the Backyardigans, you realize she is actually burning off some energy. It can't be all bad, right?
But still I know in my rational mind that she needs more playtime with just her imagination. She needs to develop those skills and practice them every day. When I got hooked on Barbies as a kid, I could easily busy myself for 5 or 6 hours a day just imagining the world they lived in and the complicated relationships of family and friends I developed (seriously rivaling anything daytime television had to offer!). Granted I was a little older than Elisa is now, but still, I'm sure that at her age I was messing with my stuffed animals or doctor's kit or something else much more than television. And so this month, both Nacho and I have tried to make a concerted effort to turn the thing off. It isn't easy and somedays we still watch a good bit of TV, but it's getting better I think. I'm not sure if it's her age or what, but she's definitely showing more interest in her Little People and farm animals lately and there are lots of times when she will bring them from room to room to keep playing and making up adventures for them. I'm glad to see this and to know that her imagination is always there--it just needed a little coaxing which I'm happy to oblige.

No comments: