Sunday, November 30, 2014

Walking it off

By the end of Thanksgiving weekend, I usually feel like a veal getting fattened for slaughter. This year was no different. So being home and able to go for a long walk in the city was just what my mind and body needed. I couldn't have planned our impromptu day any better. We knew we wanted to hit the High Line and get to the newest part at the end of the route in the 30s. What I didn't quite know was that we would start with a quick pitstop at one of my favorite donut shops in the city, Donut Pub, on 14th Street at 7th Ave. It was one of those things that Nacho and I both spotted as we climbed out of the subway and knowing that lunch was a few hours away, we decided to go for it. It was still technically morning. And that was how the day unfolded--just a loose agenda and lots of wiggle room. The girls enjoyed climbing and jumping all over the High Line and we took our time getting to the new section which rewarded us with a cool playground at the 30th Street lookout. The weather was also a highlight because the temps stayed nice and mild in the mid-50s and I never really felt chilled.  As we left the river views and turned back towards Koreatown, our eventual destination for lunch, the girls begged to get McDonald's. Why not? I needed to pee and they would devour their meals this way and leave us in peace to eat our dumplings and bibimbap. It was a win-win.  Finishing the day at Pinkberry for a spot of fro-yo before catching the Q32 bus all the way home was a delightful end to the holiday weekend. My pedometer cashed in at over 10,900 steps and I was feeling lighter already. Well, except for that donut. 

No comments: