Tuesday, October 14, 2014

First Taste of Fall

The weekend before last was our final one without Nacho home. His training wrapped up the first week of October so we had a few more days to fill our schedule without Papa around. The weather looked nice and sunny but the winds were deceptively cool.  It was the first real sign of fall and I decided to proceed with our plan to head over to Socrates Sculpture Park on that beautiful Sunday morning. Nothing a few coats and scarves can't handle. And for the most part, the girls enjoyed the outing. They were feeling a little feisty with one another--nothing new--but with plenty of space to run I thought we would do okay. And the new installations were fun to check out. The giant iron bridge was beckoning from the moment we walked in, and before I knew it, the girls were half way up. I stayed behind to try to get a good photo, only realizing later that the platform was curved and kind of awkward to walk on. No wonder Carolina was squealing to get down. Another sign warned that children should not climb it unaccompanied. Oops. And in all seriousness, the guardrail was so low that if I had tumbled, I could have easily fallen right over it myself. Oh well. Nothing like art mixed with a little danger. 

The rest of the spaces were more inviting and we managed to spend a good 45 minutes roaming around. Elisa turned one of the walkways into a fashion show, hips swaying and arm bent on her hip. I swear this kid has a bigger life planned than I can possibly imagine. And later at the mirrors the girls were a study in sisterhood. Poking, prodding, intimidating. It was all there in their reflections to watch. I think I have my own exhibit to make. And then we were off to Rainey Park nearby for a little playground fun. Which quickly devolved into two hungry and tired kids tearing into each other. I was barking at them more than I like, but really? Can't we just go out once without tears? And then we were back home to rest. Pretty sure I took a nap that day too. With this cool weather, it's so nice to just curl up and let the day pass. Saving myself for more outdoor activities in October. So much to do this month and we're ready to have Nacho home to join in.

No comments: