Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Field trip surprise

Nothing quite like starting off your morning like this...
And ending it like this....
Fortunately, Elisa's trip to the Queens Botanical Gardens was perfectly balmy and beautiful on this fall morning. And we toured the gardens a bit before making sachets of potpourri from the dried herbs and flowers they have. We were just about to head back to school around noon and I could tell it was nearly lunch time because I was starving. I texted Nacho to say I would be heading home soon and then said my goodbyes to Elisa at the front door of the building on our return. And not more than 5 minutes later, Nacho called while I was driving home. I didn't answer it but when he left a voicemail, I decided to ring back at a stoplight. He was at the park with Carolina and she fell and hit her head. She was bleeding and it wasn't stopping. I couldn't get there any faster, but I was on my way. In probably 5 minutes more, I was pulling up and she was calmly sitting in the stroller covered in blood smears that soaked through her hair and clothes. It looked bad, but what looked worse was the nasty gash on her hairline on the left side. This would need stitches, so off we went to NY Presbyterian Hospital in the city. It was the only pediatric ER I've heard good things about and I trusted them with making her head wound heal properly.  

Getting there was a breeze and within minutes we had a wristband for her and were seeing the triage nurse who gave her some numbing gel and Motrin for the pain.  Then the wait began. At first she was almost in shock, but then little by little she started to talk and get more animated. By the time Nacho parked and found us, she was almost acting normal. And then it was time for the sedative. She drank it like a pro and within 10 minutes her words started to linger and she started fading out.  They lead us to the exam room and she cuddled with me in the chair. I sang and she laid against my chest. She was absolutely calm and sweet. Then she got the giggles and started asking weird questions. Nacho and I were giggling too. She wanted her friends to come to our house. Okay, sure. The stitching didn't take too long and the doctor and nurses were really great with her.  Of course it helped that Carolina didn't flinch at all. Instead she watched "Sofia the First" with me and we tried to keep her hands from roaming around with the new rubber ducky they gave her. I can't even imagine doing this with Elisa. I mean, this kid was the most serene child under duress. And true to her nature, the minute Elisa saw her after school, she started crying and screaming and refused to sit next to her in the car. Oy vey. Yes, it's all about her. Still is. 

But we made it home and I spent most of this evening monitoring Carolina and making sure she wasn't running around. The sedative made her really uncoordinated and scarily so. I just kept thinking about her falling again against the tables or hitting a toy. Ouch. Everything looked sharp and deadly. Making it to bedtime was kind of a marathon after such an active and stressful day. And the beer and potstickers I made to reward myself for another parenting job well done never tasted so good. So yeah. Our first ER visit with Carolina is over. First stitches ever are complete. Now let's hope this scene doesn't repeat itself any time soon. I'm glad Nacho was on duty if only because I think he handled it as calmly as anyone could. And I was extra glad we were there together to take her in. Sometimes you just need that little bit of support as you manage these firsts. And we did it with grace and humor. Not bad. But really, the gold star goes to Carolina. What a champ. Love that kid. Love her even more tonight.



No comments: