Friday, November 15, 2013

Our little monster

In the past few months, I realized that my blogging about the girls is so different now from how things started out. With Elisa, I was a first time mom with a huge learning curve. Everything was a joy, a disaster, a triumph and a dilemma--and sometimes all at once. With Carolina, nothing has been hard. It's just been, eh...different. But the more things change, the more I feel that the toddler years are so very similar. Both girls have started with the same defiant streak around 18-24 months and it's only getting more interesting now that language is really taking off. Carolina can be heard telling me "NO NEVER TO ME!" which is about as angry as she gets. Though today that anger was accompanied with biting (my duvet cover) and throwing of toys. She's a fiery one when she wants to be and it's clear that she's learned a few key moves from her wily older sister.  My favorite things right now are how she sulks with head hung low and breathes extra heavy like her chest is caving in.   She can really pout like a pro.  It usually takes a good hug before she'll come around, and even then, she's found that crying ugly crocodile tears provides a much need catharsis sometimes. It's all those emotions bubbling up that are so joyful and yet so trying at this age. She can be so damn demanding and then absolutely adorable the next minute. It's enough to make you crazy day in and day out. But luckily, I've done this before, and I know how good I have it. We don't have the daily knock-down drag-out fights and tantrums that Elisa had at this age. I rarely have trouble getting her out the door. Yes, there are mild protests over shoes or coats, but nothing like the epic throw downs Elisa would have that left me so drained. This is all to say that Carolina is giving toddlerdom a good run, but she's still too sweet to do much damage. Even if she wouldn't wear her Sulley costume until two days after Halloween. I still got it on her. So there.

No comments: