Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fall Festival

I may be nursing two sick kiddos back to health this week, but what a jam-packed, fun weekend we had. Even if it did lead to our demise, I'd say it was worth it.  Friday night was the Fall Festival at Academy of the City and coming a day after our dress up for Halloween, I was a bit hesitant at first. Plus it was from 6-8 pm after a long week of school and Nacho was working which left me on my own with both girls. But surprisingly, it went well and both Carolina and Elisa enjoyed dancing around the school gym while I grabbed a delicious plate from the pot luck and settled in.  Elisa opted to get her face painted after seeing her friend Birdie all decked out, and the two of them hit the dance floor soon afterwards. Actually, that's about all Elisa did since she wasn't too keen on any of the games.  Carolina wandered around the gym solo a good part of the time later befriending a much older Snow White who wasn't quite sure how to shake her.  The DJ played some old school tunes, including "Thriller," which made me happy. Except for a few wild kids tearing through the gym or the boys who spent most of the night pummeling their friends, it was an enjoyable affair.  In addition to giving the kids a chance to show off their Halloween get ups, the night also highlighted the two fundraisers AoC has been working on--a raffle as well as an online auction--to get new playground equipment. I was happy to donate a family photo shoot to the auction and found out today that it was one of the highest bidding items. Most of all, it's great to see how the school community is coming out to support the kids as well as the administration and I'm very happy we're part of it. I'll be even happier when we start selling Thanksgiving pies this week....yum. 

No comments: