Monday, August 28, 2017

School in Session

First day of school already and with Nacho out of town it was up to me to get the girls back on schedule and up and out the door by 7:45 a.m. No small feat considering just the day before I woke up at 9:40 a.m. Yeah, summer has been good to us and the girls are real little people who wake anywhere from 8-10 a.m. depending on what time they went to bed the night before. So adjusting back to the daily grind of a M-F school schedule is something I greet with equal parts dread and delight. Of course, I was looking forward to having the time to myself again. That can't be understated. But the routine is really loathsome and enforces a kind of discipline on this family that I truly resent at times. Who knew that so much of our adult lives would revolve around the school calendar? I guess I never thought much about it when thinking of having kids. It just seemed like it was a part of child rearing like any other. But no. It dominates and anyone who says differently is lying. We arrange travel based on school breaks, make plans weekends in advance because of school events and basically hope for a few odd days off here and there to just give us a glimpse of freedom. Summer is the only real prolonged period of respite and even that has gotten shorter--a mere 8 weeks this year. And since I suppose there's not much I can do about this for another 12 years or so, I will just go with it. Today was the first day of the rest of their lives...First grade and fourth grade. Here we go!
First day pose with bestie Kira--they might be separated but they can never separate them ;)

No comments: