Saturday, August 30, 2014

Solo Saturday

This has been a big week for us. On Sunday we kicked it off with our blowout of summer at Coney Island, on Tuesday we said goodbye to Nacho who left for training for 6 weeks, Wednesday was our escape from the hot weather at Target and Chuck E. Cheese, and Thursday Elisa started back to school with a half day and Friday was All. Damn. Day.  So yeah, I woke up this morning a little tired. No fucking wonder.  
But even so, I knew I couldn't stay home. I always feel like on the big summer weekends in this city, more people leave than go into Manhattan. So why not go against the flow and make a day of it in Central Park? We didn't get out of the house terribly late, and a picnic seemed like the perfect low-key affair to keep us all entertained (and fed).  So off we went towards Sheep Meadow and that wide expanse of grass that always mesmerizes me.  The girls were a little munchy at first, but then wanted to play. They grabbed sticks and set off on a mission to make potions. I was told not to look and that they didn't want me following them over to the rocks. Okay then.  It was all working out so well. Within an hour, they were winding up their game and I was ready to meander a bit more. We saw the bubble guys and decided to make a pit stop. Even though I had to sheepishly break a $20 out of his tip jar to offer him something. He was very adamant about getting that money, you know. But hey, the girls were thrilled and we milked it for as long as we could. Yes, a restful Sunday without the normal weekend crowds was just what I needed. Now, what to do tomorrow if it rains?  

No comments: