Sunday, August 24, 2014

Coney Island Crazy

Summer sometimes calls for me to suspend my usual aversion to hot, sweaty places and crowds. I mean, I wouldn't leave my house for 3 months if I didn't, right? And Coney Island is THE summer destination in New York City and deservedly so. I had been thinking we'd get back there again this summer, but there was always an excuse not to.  Until yesterday when Nacho announced that he had made tentative plans with some Spanish friends who moved to Sunnyside recently to meet up on the boardwalk. Well, okay. That's something, I thought. Nacho doesn't often make the big weekend plans so this was a welcome change. And considering it's his last weekend before training, I thought it would be a great finish to the summer. End it with a bang! And boy, did we. We made it there just under the midday sun and in time for a Nathan's hot dog. After that it was a bit of sand a even less surf (Nacho and Jose took a dip) before heading over to the amusement rides to placate three very eager kids. Herman did great tagging along with Elisa and Carolina, and after a few rides together they were really hitting their stride. It was so fun to watch. We all ended up on the Wonder Wheel towards late afternoon and then back to the boardwalk for an ice cream and a little rest in the shade. It was definitely a summery day and the heat really wore us all down. But it was also probably one of the best days of the summer so far in that everyone kept it together. There were no wild tantrums...only a few mild crying fits. I can handle all that, and I did. The rocking ferris wheel car was probably my personal highlight since the girls loved it as much as Nacho and I. And who can resist a funnel cake? The kids were licking the powdered sugar plate clean. And why not? It's summer after all and anything goes...for another week.

No comments: