Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Queens County Farm Fair

Before the month closes, I have to post about our three-family trek to the Queens County Fair earlier in September. It is an event I always put on my calendar hoping that the weekend doesn't coincide with our beach trip. And fortunately, this year it didn't. But it did conflict with a few other plans so we ended up holding off until Sunday and going post-birthday party. Because it was later in the afternoon, and the sun had decided to show itself after a gray morning, I wasn't surprised to see crowds. But still, it was probably the most crowded I've ever seen it and that's saying something.  In a way, it was hard not to compare it to last year when muggy, gray skies kept the masses at bay and we were able to run around in relative peace with Leonardo and Carmen. Maybe because we also upped the numbers with Jose and Irene in tow, but it felt like a lot more to juggle this time around. And with me on my own with the girls, it also meant I left one kid with someone while I raced over to another ride. Thankfully, they are older and better about sticking with me (cue memories of Elisa running away at the fair at age three) and it helped a lot that I was there with families we know well and trust. Because these big events can be overwhelming even for the parents, let alone the kids who want to do and taste it all at the very same moment. So we started with a quick bite of food for Carmen and crew, and ice cream for our kiddos. Then it was off to the amusements and each kid got three rides to choose. The "vroom vroom" cars as they are now known were a must. And Elisa and Leonardo ventured onto the Ferris Wheel after being turned down for another ride. Meanwhile, Carolina and German made do with the firetruck merrygoround and everyone enjoyed the motorcycle racing. Yes, it was a good, if crowded day at the fair...
We caught just the end of the pig racing this time around, and I absolutely had to stand in line for a funnel cake (or two) to sate my growing hunger. The girls were happy to watch an aerial artist bounce around the trampoline for a bit as the sun was setting. And then it was time to hit the pony rides and petting zoo before closing. That part felt a little rushed and anticlimactic, but that might have been that way even if we'd started the day over there. Things were kind of all backwards in my head which meant I kept trying to find a rhythm there all day that I couldn't place. I also never got a beer at the music pavilion which was probably my only regret. There just wasn't time. Hopefully next year we can come back, start a little earlier and check off all those must haves. Who knows, we've also never made it onto the hay ride or through the corn maze. So yeah, I think we have a few more fairs to see and happily so. It's something the girls really look forward to now as well, so I'm glad they have that. It reminds me a bit of the Santa-Cali-Gon Days I grew up attending on the town square in Independence, MO. Something about being a kid at the fair brings back lots of good memories. And from what I can tell, I think Elisa and Carolina are making their own. At least there weren't any tantrums and I didn't have to carry anyone kicking to the car. Oh yeah, we're making progress. See you again next year, farm!

No comments: