Thursday, July 24, 2014

Summertime in the city

As July was wrapping up, I had the lingering feeling that I hadn't properly embraced summer in New York City. When I think of summer, I picture long strolls through the East Village, wandering around Tomkins Square Park, maybe taking in some music or people watching around Washington Square. It feels like we did more of this when Elisa was small and might nap on the go in the stroller, but since the girls have both been routine nappers at home for the past couple of years (and we're not pushing two strollers for this purpose), it was hard to disrupt them and risk the consequences. But after testing the waters a bit in Spain with no naps, and seeing that we could get decent overnight sleep, I thought it might be worth enjoying a few long afternoons in the city as well. The day we picked was a Saturday, so I was actually trying to think of places that wouldn't be mobbed or too hectic for us. On the train we realized that there was no service to Times Square so opting for a stop somewhere along the N/Q was perfect. We made it to 8th Street and then to the playground at Washington Square Park for our first foray into summer fun. Ice cream followed, then another playground of hills and climbing things, then lunch from the excellent dosa food truck guy (he dubbed me "medium plus" on the spice chart and I have to say, nailed it) followed by a little coffee and a walk to Tomkins Square Park (and yes, another playground) to meet up with my friend Tony who was only in town for a few remaining hours. It all worked out. We walked, we played, we ate ice cream--twice--and it was all delicious.

No comments: