Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Fair

It's only Saturday, but it's been a busy Memorial Day weekend so far. On Friday morning, Elisa and I made a grocery run to Trader Joe's after officially enrolling her in preschool. With the papers signed and done, we have about a month to go before the summer session starts after the 4th of July. If you ask me, it can't come soon enough. With the barbecue season in full swing, we were prepping on Friday for another casual cookout at the park. Only this time, Nacho made it home in time to join in which made it feel like the weekend had really started. I'm seriously hot dogged out, but it was fun to see such a great turn out from our playgroup friends and Elisa once again amazed me with her independence, playing all over the park and only running back to us for a few bites of food. This morning we gobbled up some fresh blueberry pancakes and bacon before heading out to get the baby's bassinet purchased. With Elisa, we only had a moses basket which worked okay for a few weeks, but by November of that year I was scrambling to buy a crib and establish some better sleep routines. Hopefully with this pack-n-play option, we'll do better in that department. But mostly, now that it's decided and bought, I'm relieved to check that off my list of things to do before July. I want to enjoy these next two months, but sometimes I think I'm not really focused on the arrival the way I want to be. Hopefully, June will be my month for getting organized.

But first, there was a fair at Sunnyside Gardens to enjoy...here is Elisa waiting patiently in line for the bouncy castle.
And Elisa being consoled after refusing to enter the bouncy castle when all the other kids started climbing over her to get their turn.
It wasn't a pretty scene. Mostly, I think she was afraid of the bigger kids who were jumping with wild abandon. We left that one only to be suckered into waiting for the other bouncy house because Elisa said she preferred it. By the time she got through the line, she actually entered this one. But then the screaming began. Her face was terror stricken and she just wanted out. Of course, I wish I hadn't just paid $10 for "unlimited rides" which for her really only meant the bouncy houses. But mostly, I wish they had separated the bouncy houses by age group. It was clear the older kids freaked her out and that made me sad for her sake. I can't think of anything she likes more than jumping whether on a bed, off a step or even on the couch (a no-no), so this was a disappointment. Oh well.
We still managed to have a decent time, but I must remember that these park events are always a bit crazier than I expect them to be. Maybe it's because Elisa isn't really old enough to enjoy all the games/rides, but she wasn't remotely interested in face painting or any of the crafts and she didn't want to sit and eat. So we listened to the band for a few minutes, before deciding to hit the swings and then pack it in. The cupcake on the way out was probably the highlight of the event for both of us. With temps in the 80s again tomorrow, I'm hoping we'll find something to do that keeps us out and about but with a more relaxing vibe. After a nice Thai dinner in Jackson Heights and a stop at Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor tonight, I think we're moving in that direction. More to follow...

No comments: