Saturday, July 10, 2010

There just aren't words...

Sean, Mark and Jordan in Wilmington, NC - Summer 2009 (Photo courtesy of Stacey Sprenz)

Sometimes there just aren't words for what life throws at you. Yesterday morning I found out that a good friend of my sister lost her husband in a hit and run accident. It was the kind of news that just knocks the wind out of your sails and makes you sick to your stomach with thoughts of what that family is going through now. Life is so fragile. I think about this all the time in relation to being a mother, but when you see it up close, it's just frightening and sad. I don't remember the last time I saw the family--it's probably been a decade or so--and they have a six year old son now. They were the kind of people you want to see more of, so kind and always welcoming to my sister and her family. In fact, Stace and the kids were just up for a long weekend in February to hang out with them, and I remember seeing photos and thinking, gosh, they have done so well for themselves. They just oozed happiness. And now that is gone. I know it will return one day, but it won't be the same. The husband and father that made them a family won't be there. This idea haunts me, and yet I know from Nacho's experience losing his dad as an infant, that families do heal. I don't know how, but they do.

For more about Sean's life and their family's unique legacy of adoption and philanthropy, please visit: http://kayfoundation.com/

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Ann--thank you for this loving post. I am so honored to have know such a loving, giving, creative person. He will be missed by so many because he was loved by so many.
Love,
Stacey