Friday, June 18, 2010

June again

Then:
Now:
Today our routine changed. Just as I was getting into the two-parks-a-day thing, I rounded the corner to the local playground at 9:30 a.m. and found it overrun with big kids. Yep. School was on hiatus and will soon be out for the summer anyway. I think the quiet mornings with Elisa running around almost alone on the equipment are over. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted. And really, we have a lot of traveling and things to look forward to coming up, so I guess it's good that we don't get too comfortable in any routine. I bought our plane tickets for Spain this week (finally!) so we're officially leaving late July and returning about 5 weeks later at the end of August. This would not have been possible if I was still working. Ah, yes, June again. Last June I was knee deep in office politics, trying to take a break to visit my ailing grandmothers and debating how I could find a new apartment in our neighborhood that fit all my qualifications (and budget). It was a busy time and I wasn't always coping well with the stresses of life. When I look back, I realize that I didn't enjoy all the parts of my life to the fullest. I regret that. But maybe it's part of the working mother's dilemma that if you have the money, you don't have the time. And I realize that for me, for now, time is my greatest commodity. I spend all day every day with my daughter. I put her to bed, and I get her when she wakes up. I don't pay someone else to be with her, to comfort her and to make sure she is eating and playing and getting to nap as much (or as little) as she needs. And even though it won't pay for our trip to Spain this summer, my job is now to orchestrate our biggest family adventure to date. It's a challenge I'm up for and one I plan to nail.

No comments: